Viet Summer School 2016
Start from June 28 to August 4, 2016
Time total: 18 sessions, 2 hours each
Class time: 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM
On: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday
Note for the first two weeks: Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Robert E. Lee High School
6540 Franconia Road
Springfield, VA 22150
Class Room Map
Viet Language Classes
Traditional Viet Language Classes are organized into 7 grade levels and segregated by student age into classes Example.
The program includes the following:
- Spelling: How to read a Viet word and pronounce it correctly, and how to write correctly from hearing the spoken word.
- Vocabulary: 800 Viet words/phrases taught incrementally from Grade 1 through 6.
- Sentences: Grammatical rules taught mainly through pattern matching. Emphasis is placed on the simplest, short and loosely-structured sentences
- Reading: 26 stories in 3 levels, from simple picture stories, to 12-panel picture stories, to single page word-only stories.
- Verses, Conservations, Social Studies: Extra lessons to introduce the culture.
- For students from 6 years of age or older as of 2016-06-28.
- Student's fee is $120
SAT, ROC and POC
- SAT: $FEE_SAT Prep course for SAT and preSAT - Taught by the Best and Brightest, get prepared to boost your Scholastic Aptitute test Math or Verbal scores. This summer 2016, students will be taught 16 hours or Verbal and 16 hours of Math. Classes will be segregated into two levels - Advanced and Regular - following assessments on the first day.
- ROC: $FEE_ROC Robotics and Computing - Hands on! Students will be provided with an Arduino computer kit. Instructions and material provided. Students are required to bring his/her own laptop. This summer 2016, students will have a total of 30 hours to learn from the basic to the more advanced projects, including a class project to be demonstrated to the whole school. There will be "Fun with Digital Media" and "Fun with Drones" seminars -- special topics to expose students to easy and fun technology activities.
- POC: $FEE_PHO or $FEE_POC Basic Photography and Physical Fun - The class will be open to parents and teenagers (at least 14 years old). On Thursdays, the topic is Basic Photography. On other days (Mondays and Wednesdays), the topic is Physical Activities including Tennis and/or Self Defense. Students do NOT have to attend both topics. The fee for Photo workshops only is $FEE_PHO. The fee for Physical Workshops only is $FEE_PHY. The fee for both topics in POC is $FEE_POC.
- For Basic Photography, students are expected to have a camera that is more than a "Point and Shoot". In other words, "Speed", "Aperture" and "ISO" can be set manually. There will be 3 to 4 sessions on Thursdays, during the VYEA summer school. The first session will be Thursday of the first week. There will be 2 or 3 field trips in the week-ends.
- For Physical Fun, activities will take either indoors within school, or outdoors in the tennis court or field. Tennis lessons will be hands-on, Self-Defense lessons will be based on techniques and hands-on-but-light interactions (see this video Video, Example Self Defense Lesson)
PAPER BROCHURES / APPLICATION
(But on line application above is much preferred)